Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

As the garden grows! #SomethingSpecialHomestead

I got a new load of manure in the past couple of weeks and with planting season upon us I have been working on moving it to the garden as quickly as I can.  I got three wagon loads done on Monday and yesterday I managed to get one more load done before the drive belt broke...grounding that project to a halt...The belt has been ordered and if things go as planned I will be able to resume this project on Monday of next week...
 
...until then I started planting in any available space I could find and actually got quite a bit added to our garden...Above on the left is a "Scottish Bonnet" pepper plant that is supposed to be hotter than a jalapeno and on the right is a "Long Red Slim" hot pepper that will be used for jellies...
 
...next up we have a "Gypsy" pepper plant on the left and a "Red Bell" pepper on the right...these should both be a sweet pepper variety.  I have never tried the Gypsy peppers so I only bought one plant, but got two of the red bell peppers since they are a family favorite!...
...our zucchini plants are thriving under their tent and do not seem to be having near the pest problem that the green beans are facing...
 
...our peas and potatoes are doing well...I finally remembered to add hay to the tire stacks and hope to get some more tires soon that I can add to each of these stacks and to make a sweet potato tower out of as well... The peas are starting to get ripe and Aiden tried them fresh off the vine for the first time yesterday...He loved them so much that he didn't want to share with his sisters, but they were glad he did!  Their poor grandma may be lucky to find any fresh peas in the freezer to enjoy when she gets home as impressed as they were...We also have a small line of carrots in front of the peas that they kids discovered and they may be gone in no time as well...lol
...This is the first set of tomatoes we got planted this year and they are growing by leaps and bounds with all of the recent rain... looks like I will be building tomato cages sooner rather than later to contain these buggers...
 
...and just in case that's not enough tomatoes I added another 14 paste tomato plants to the garden yesterday as well...and there's more...Seriously if anyone in the area wants some tomato plants I can meet you between Moneta and Christiansburg this weekend...until I get 5 more cement blocks and get the tractor fixed I won't be able to plant any more and really I'm not sure how much salsa Mom can process in a year...lol...
...I literally started with this whole tray of tomato plants and I think less than 1/4 of them have found a home in the garden...
...last but not least, I planted a tray of cilantro and marigolds around the garden...the cilantro is great in salsa and the marigolds are supposed to help keep the bugs down...
...in the front of the house I trimmed the bushes by the front walk down to a little bit of nothing (Mom doesn't like them and digging them out is too big a job to add to my plate right now)...
 
...and then I replanted Aiden's "onions", really Mom's daffodils, along with some hyacinth bulbs and cowl lilies that needed to be taken care of... I think if the bushes are kept trimmed way down this will be a beautiful garden for mom to watch bloom...all it needs is a few tulip bulbs and it will be complete!
...now it's time to find new homes for our latest batch of 19 trees... I have ideas for some of them, but I really wish I had the lawn tractor running to help me carry everything to the other side of the field...til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment