Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

We should have ducklings in the morning!

When I went out to put the birds to bed tonight I noticed an egg cracking in Silver's nest...Everything we have read says that dick eggs should hatch in 30 days, but again it has taken five and a half weeks for these babies to try to come out!  I checked on them again about 20 minutes ago and a few more eggs have cracked...nothing I can do for them at this point since trying to help them hatch almost never works...Sometimes farm life can be hard...just waiting and letting nature take it's course...Last year 9 of the 10 ducklings that hatched survived, I hope we have good odds this year too!  As soon as I know how many are healthy they will have to be listed for sale and hopefully I can get pre-orders for all of them...as much as I would like keep them all, our coop just can't handle too many more birds...so if anyone thinks they may like to call dibs on any speak up and I will get you on the list!
 
This is "Pretty Girl" and today we discovered that she too has decided she wants to nest.  When she was out getting food and water this evening I got a peek in her nest and there were nine eggs in there and they are all duck eggs this time!  This will make our third nest of the year.   I really hope that we are able to find good homes for all these babies.  They make awesome pets and they don't have to have a pond.  (Muscovy ducks are just as happy with a tub they can bathe in).  They do make good meat ducks, just please don't tell me if that is your intent...lol...I get kinda attached to the little guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment