Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Weaving up a storm! #TriloomWeaving

For the past year I have been learning the skill of weaving.  I have worked with Mom on her floor looms throughout the years...mostly with threading them and getting them ready to weave, but I did make a set of place mats on the medium one and that was neat....my favorite loom so far is the tri-loom!  It is great for making triangular shawls and I have completed several of them!  Below I have pictures of some of my most recent projects labeled with the loom setting and the color of the yarn used.  They do shrink up a little bit when washed, but they also get softer...we do pre-wash all of our shawls unless otherwise requested.  The 5-foot setting comes out to be about 56 inches and the 7-foot setting comes out to be about 76 inches across the top edge.
5' Fiesta - This shawl was a special order.  Most of my shawls are woven with the loom set to the seven foot setting.  Occasionally I switch it up though and go for a smaller setting as seen here!
7' Parfait
7' Petunia Stripe
7' Feista

Isabella really wanted to help...so I let her do a little weaving too... She really likes weaving and is very careful... I do check behind her of course, but I don't find too many mistakes for a beginner 5-year-old either!  The five foot shawls take about three to four hours to complete if they are simple and the seven foot shawls can take eight to ten hours or more to complete!  Most of the time they are on the loom for anywhere from a day up to two weeks as I find the time to work on shawls in between other projects.  The edging can be a simple crochet edge across the top to fringe or a crocheted ruffle.  Most of them are a plaid of some sort, but some are solid and some are hombre... the possibilities are truly endless and they are all one of a kind!

  I swear some days I am on my feet from 7 am to 11 pm with very few breaks...I accomplish a lot and I enjoy it when I get to work on my shawls even if it's only for a few minutes!


No comments:

Post a Comment