Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

BBQ Grill Cake Anyone? #PieceOfCake

My latest creation was a huge success!  Everyone loved it and they really liked the M&M's that spilled out of the middle when the cake was cut!
This customer prefers my special Buttercream Icing to fondant, but I knew that at least the grill, burgers and dogs would need to be made of fondant... so some improvising had to be done to make it a better fit for their taste and give them an awesome cake too! This was for a repeat customer and she was willing to let me run with the theme which was really fun!  I did give her some sneak peeks along the way, but it was really nice to have more creative freedom and be able to surprise her a little this time! 
I baked this cake in a bundt cake pan and decorated it upside down to give it the rounded bottom and flat top.  I also scooped a little cake out of the middle to give it a realistic dip.  For the base I used a cardboard circle and then a stack of drip pans covered in foil. (In retrospect the bottom circle should have been a little bit bigger for ease of transporting, but I made it work!)  The grill, burgers and dogs were all made out of fondant and the cake was iced with my special Buttercream Icing... but what to do about the hole in the middle?...I had seen cakes with candies that fall out when they are cut and I thought that it would be an awesome surprise for my best customers!  So I asked them about their candy preferences without telling them why and in the end... I ended up with this beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment