Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Is frying food hazardous to your health too? ;)

Sooo I was in the kitchen the other night frying Okra (for the first time ever).  I have seen this before at the good 'ole Golden Corral and Country Cookin' restaurants throughout the years, but being from Virginia, with my roots stuck firmly in Michigan, this wasn't something we ate while I was growing up.  
But, our neighbor was gracious enough to share some fresh Okra with us and I hate to see food go to waste, so I decided I was going to try this out.  I started by cutting the Okra into 1/4" slices, I dipped the slices in milk and then seasoned flour, from the mill back home, and then dropped them into my pan of oil.  Unfortunately I am a bit dangerous in the kitchen at times and as I was putting the Okra into the blistering hot oil, I put my fingertip in too. O-U-C-H!!!!!

Now I am a Sissy with a capitol "S" when it comes to being burned.  After I melted two ice cubes down to nothing and my finger tip was still searing with pain I went looking for some new relief.  With no burn cream in the house (I really should have some of that stuff) I tried Aloe... no go... so I turned to my best friend the internet.... I read about all sort of different home remedies, but ultimately I decided to try Honey.  It didn't take the pain completely away, but it did subdue it enough to not bother me much and it took away the blister that was forming nicely too.

 Just one little drop of honey and a band-aid is all it took to fix me... For more severe burns it was recommended to change the bandage every 8 hours, but it's so much better than just trying to suffer through!

No comments:

Post a Comment