Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Saturday, March 5, 2016

It's been a day full of excitement and celebration!



Today we had a small family birthday lunch celebration and took advantage of the nice clear day.  Josh grilled burgers for us, Josh and A went out and shot the BB gun, A played with his new stomp rocket and Pokeball belt (they do need to make those little balls close tighter, he lost the figures at least a few times before coming inside) the kids played outside and we had some yummy cakes too.  




I have to say so far I prefer working with a creamy icing over fondant and I am going to go back to the basics and brush up on a few skills, but for me this is like riding a bike... I may be a little rusty, but I'll be back full swing in no time!  I have been getting a lot of practice lately and some cakes have turned out better than others, but I have been mostly pleased with all of them.  


I took Pokeball cupcakes to school on Friday for Aiden's birthday and the kids thought that was too neat, plus they were the camo cake and well you just couldn't beat that!




There is one little girl in Aiden's class that has a gluten free diet and I made her a peanut butter cookie complete with an icing pokeball so that she wouldn't be left out of the festivities. 

For today I made two cakes one was a small 3D pokeball cake (I baked it in a deep round stainless steel bowl and it didn't rise as much as I thought it might, but I made due). This was Aiden's cake and it was a Triple Chocolate Fudge with a vanilla icing and boy was it yummy!

I also made a music themed birthday cake for my sister-in-law and put the sheet music for the song across the side.  I was trying a sparkling gel for the black writing, but I think my regular vanilla icing would have done just as good if not better.  Overall the cake was good.  It was a devil's food cake with vanilla frosting and fondant on it, plus a fondant ball border around the bottom.  I let the cake sit for 3 days just in a covered cake dish on the counter before serving to see if the fondant would be as good as it was after 5 days, but no luck.  Though it was better than freshly applied fondant  I think that a 3 day minimum wait time between eating fondant and when it is applied is a must, or it should just be peeled before eating (it is safe to eat at any time, but I have found it's like a marshmallow gum paste and the fresher it is the chewier it is, not so good in my book).  None-the-less Lisa liked her newest cake creation from me and she is hopeful that I will find her wedding cake photos soon too, so that I can show off another cake I made for her that she loved too. :0)
I hope everyone is having a great weekend and I will post some Pokemon Party ideas in my next post complete with pictures of what I have put together so far!  We have started to hear back on some of the invitations and I can't wait to see who all can come! It's really going to be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment