Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Friday, February 26, 2016

Fixin' the yard!

Anyone who has raised chickens and/or ducks knows they like to make holes and generally scratch up the yard.  I have prepped their chicken run for the spring and I am hoping that their grass will start sprouting soon.  Today I used some of our pine chips to start fixing the parts of the yard that are torn up the most.  
I started with the area right in front of the coop.  If you look really close you can see a little ditch that runs parallel to the front of the coop and there is also a dip about 2-3 inches deep and 2-3 foot across a few feet in front of the big ramp.
It took about 12 wheel barrows full to do this area and I was about to give up for the day until I looked at the ground around the water trough.
We put the trough under the down spout to catch rain water when it is available and with all of the rain we have had recently it has been overflowing.  Plus the ducks like to root around in the mud around the trough eroding away even more of the dirt.  You can even see a 2-3 inch gap under the fence in places.
So even though I usually would not put mulch beside the house (since it can attract termites), I did this time.  It only took one wheel barrow full to do the area and it evened everything out quite nicely.  I was careful to keep it back from the foundation and I will be adding dirt and grass seed a little later this spring, so I think it will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment