Welcome

Welcome to our world... I hope you enjoy your visit and come back often to see what new things we have gotten into.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When is working really worth it?

As I sit here thinking about the job opportunities I have been presented with I wonder "When is working really worth it?" I will definitely be starting a new job on March 12th as a work from home CSR and I get to work the evening shift. During training I will have to hire a babysitter two days a week for 6-8 hours each day, this will last for 4 weeks. Then once I change to my regular schedule I will only need a sitter one day a week for approximately 5 hours. To me this job is truly worth it, since I will be working from home 5 days a week and will only need a sitter 1 of those 5 days. Plus I will get to take my breaks and lunch with my family in the comfort of my home. I will never have to worry about forgetting my lunch or forgetting my badge. No longer will I wonder how far from the building I will have to park and what the weather is going to be like as I am walking across the parking lot. Now I finally get to have the job I have been dreaming of for the past 5 years.

With all that in mind, I have also been offered a job that starts on February 13th where I would also be in need of a babysitter 2 days a week and the training is 1st shift, not really my cup of tea at all. When I figured it up after paying for a sitter for two days and taxes the most I will bring home would be $296 a week. Out of that money I would have to deduct the gas I will be spending to get to and from work and the extra gas it will take my husband to get to and from school. I will have to take my children to a sitter which means I will be leaving my house at 7:00 in the morning and I will not get home until around 6 pm with them. This job will probably only last two weeks, since the training program is 5 weeks long and in order to give a two weeks’ notice to change to the job I really want, I would be giving notice 2 weeks into a 5 week training program and I would most likely be told I didn't have to come back once the notice was delivered. So is this job really worth it? Yeah it would bring in between $400-500 to our struggling household, but that's for two full weeks of work and it would be bringing home less than a minimum wage position. I am still on the fence over this decision. I do at least already have everything lined up, now I just have to convince myself to follow through and make the money. I do really wonder if I will be able to make myself do it if my husband is offered the job he interviewed for today...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. As unfulifilling as it seems to take a job that is not going to provide a very good income is, A job is always better than no job. So I will be sticking with my original plan of taking the temp job and seeing what happens from there. Who knows maybe I will fall in love with that job and company and want to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what temp job...what is going on? I been missing work for a week and people are dropping like flies. Tell me whats up please

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrea- I actually left Dish at the beginning of December and started a temp assignment with Liberty Medical in Salem yesterday.... I am good and happy with the changes I have decided to make in life :)

    ReplyDelete